Weekend in Seattle, Washington

Wednesday 9 November 2011

Snapper Supper Made Easy!



Squirrel enjoying Fall trees
Well it's official we are in Fall now!!!  The leaves sure do show it!! Funny - I heard my neighbour say he went out without a coat the other day and didn't expect it to be so cold.  Here in Vancouver on the West Coast of Canada it is about 10 degrees tonight.  We really enjoyed our summer and fall is beautiful here with such gorgeous colored leaves.  

This year I have had an opportunity to not have to get up and go to work.  It is a luxury and I appreciate every minute (maybe every second) of it.  I really see more when I walk around the neighbourhood, and I like to listen more.  I love to walk some mornings and not really hear anything - just the sound of cars in the distance on the Lougheed Highway.  When people are focused on what they have to get done in a day or where they should be then they may miss out on the special feeling you get from just enjoying the minutes of being with yourself and nature.  Not sure if I can convey that in words - try it sometime.  It's easy - just walk by yourself and try to absorb all that you see, smell and feel and take it all in.  It really is a gift that you can give yourself.

Tonight we made snapper for dinner.  Jack wanted his to be simple so he poached our snapper fillets in about 1/2 inch of boiling water with some olive oil and sliced onions and a bit of white wine.  Bring water to a boil and add the fillets and then simmer for about 10 minutes.  Don't overcook. Fish should flake off with a fork.

For myself I prepared a topping for mine as snapper is a delicious fish, no bones but fairly bland in taste.  I used part of a can of tomatoes and added some chopped garlic, chopped green onions and 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder.  Mix that up well with a spoon and serve over hot poached fish and enjoy.

Jack had his just drizzled with olive oil and vinegar and accompanied by a few vegetables and a bit of bread. Simple or natural as he says - just the way he likes it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment