Weekend in Seattle, Washington

Friday 23 December 2011

Baby Clams in Linquini

Tomorrow is Christmas Eve and it is 3 degrees in Vancouver and looks like we are not going to have snow - just rain! This is my second Christmas not working and I have to say it sure is nice to be able to enjoy Christmas more by having the time.  I love going for a walk during the day and hearing Christmas carols from the open doors in the hall near us.  I like walking up the street and not seeing any cars or people and  looking back behind me - just marveling at the way the sun is shining on the church rooftop.

I've made my traditional brown sugar shortbread, the butter tarts and on my list of things to do is make a homemade kahlua recipe. If anybody has a good kahlua recipe could you please leave me a message at my email - jacksjule@gmail.com.  That will be next week when Christmas is over.

Christmas kitty - Chanel
I did get my Christmas kitty - her name is Chanel. My neighbour rescued her as she was destined to be put down if not adopted soon. She thought I might like her (of course I did) and she gave her to me!!  She is great company, full of energy but loves to eat!!  She seems to be waiting by her food dish all the time.  I am feeding her twice a day but she eats most all of her food as soon as it's put down not saving any for later.  If anyone has any ideas for me I would appreciate comments as she is 13 pounds and only a year and a half old.

Last night I made a recipe using canned baby clams.  Canned baby clams cost about $1.65 and when you buy fresh in the shell you pay so much more.  I really enjoyed our dinner and will do this again soon.  Very quick and tasty and impressive!!  The thing is that you don't have to buy anything - just the baby clams and it's low calorie.   We added bread to the table (surprise!) and wine.  That's where the calories come in.  Got to do more walking I guess.  Dr. Oz suggests we need to walk 10,000 steps a day. I need to get a pedometer to see how long it takes to do that.
Baby Clams in Linguini

Anyways, here is my recipe and hope you enjoy it as much as Jack and I did.

BABY CLAMS IN LINGUINI

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons parsley
1 or 2 cloves minced garlic
1 1/2 medium onions, chopped
2 tablespoons hot olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 dash black pepper
2 cans (10 oz each) baby clams (minced) with broth
3/4 pound linguini

Directions:

Cook parsley, garlic, onion in hot olive oil for 5 minutes.  Add salt,  pepper and 2 cans of clams with the broth from one of the cans.  Simmer 5  - 7 minutes longer with lid on.  Serve on cooked linguini to which you have stirred in a tablespoon of butter.  

    So here is wishing all my friends and family a happy, healthy, safe holiday.  Have lots of fun.
 "Christmas is, of course, the time to be home - in heart as well as body."  Garry Moore.


No comments:

Post a Comment